Thursday, March 1, 2012

Feeling blue........and green

Feeling a bit of blue and green this week, and I need some new clothes, so I broke out a pattern I bought a while ago but never made: Fashion Formula Skirts Mini Booklet by Serendipity Studio.  This is a great booklet!  Very well written and easy to use.  You might have to break out the calcultor to figure out 86 times 1.25 but that is about as hard as it gets. I used this one to make the following, using only blue and green fabrics from my stash:


Well, now, that is a pretty horrible picture, isn't it? I just could not get this baby to photograph well, no matter where I put it.  I am not a tiny person, so there's a lot of fabric in there!  It just never looked good, no matter what I tried. But this is not bad.  Okay, whatever, anyway the fabric at the top is all Tula Pink Prince Charming.  The lower two tiers are Joel Dewberry Modern Meadow.    Modern Meadow is a very pretty line, but check out Prince Charming.  I love Tula Pink!  Most quilting fabric is either pretty, cute, or geometrical.  It is rarely artsy at the level it is with Tula Pink.  You have to check out her blog and look at her new book, her original art, and her other collections.


This was a very easy skirt to make.  You just do the math to figure out the sizes for your tiers. I used my machine to gather.  I just set the stitch length and tension to their highest settings and it ruffled just fine.  It did not do a perfectly spaced gather, as a gathering foot would do, but I did not mind that for this project.  It made it a fast skirt to sew.  There is an option to put a wee ruffle between each layer or a different strip of fabric, but I was going for simple here.  The top has a simple casing and I made a button hole 


I whipped out another project today, for my brother!  He and his family are trying to live a crunchy, green lifestyle, to be good stewards of the planet.  So, I made him (them) some cloth napkins!  In my own family, we eat on a table cloth and use cloth napkins every night.  In my opinion, dark prints hide stains best, so I tapped the green and blue stash again.  I made two different sizes, so they can choose which they like.  There's some Tula Pink again (green), some Amy Butler Organic (navy and blue) and some Dena Designs Tea Garden. 



They have a sweet little beachie bungalo all decorated in blues, so I hope they love these.  Happy Birthday John!!!

2 comments:

  1. The colours on your skirt are gorgeous, and I know what you mean about colours not photographing well.
    It's lovely to read about your new sewing machine, and I hope your neck and arm are much better.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete