Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mod Podge in the kitchen fun

Thanks to my friend, Hope, I recently discovered the fun of Mod Podge.  I have long been a fan of all sorts of glue, but this one was new to me.  It is basically no different than watered down Elmer's but it has a fun name!  What Hope introduced to me to is the idea of using Mod Podge to make a collage on a small canvas.  You can use paper or, in my case, fabric. In the last few months, I have won several small fabric sets and have not been sure what to do with them.  This was a perfect craft for these smaller pieces of fabric.  

This was also a great activity for an dreary day when both kids were home early from school.  

 

 So, here we have the scene: my kitchen, laminated fabric to protect table, books of paper from craft store, Mod Podge, stack of small canvases, small bin of fabric, scissors.
 There are different kinds of Mod Podge. I bought Matte.
 Do I use the Anna Griffin or the Anna Maria Horner?
 Set of 10 small canvases.
 Oldest daughter just wanted to paint on hers.
 She decided to switch to acrylic paint at some point.
Youngest daughter started off with Dot to dot paints. 
 Then, she switched to watercolors.
 So, here is what I did. I cut up small pieces of fabric and arranged them on the canvas to look like a flower.  I painted glue over and under each piece as I went.
 Work in progress.  The glue is white but dries clear.
 Here I am,  hard at work.
 My second picture, halfway done.  Here's how to do it:  Cut curvy pieces of fabric or paper and layer them.  Cut smaller pieces as you go along.  Layer them in a circular manner.  Who cares if raw edges show? Contrary to popular opinion, flowers are not perfect. They have rough edges and flubs and slubs, so there is no way to get this wrong!
 The finished products, hanging above my kitchen window.  
I think I need to do two more to fill out that whiteness!
 Closeup #1
Closeup #2

This project took an hour from start to finish!

1 comment: